April 2016 minutes

MINUTES of a meeting of CARHARRACK PARISH COUNCIL held at the Mills Hall, Carharrack, on Monday,

18th April, 2016.



Present:  Councillors

Mrs. B. Williams  (Chairman)

Miss V. Aldridge

Mrs. V. Chown

Mrs. J. Constable

G. Garbett

Mrs. J. Gardiner

C. Martin

Clerk:      T. Reynolds

Apologies received from:   PCSO P. Ferris & PC M. Pearce


Also present:

Cornwall Councillor M.A. Kaczmarek



Stop waiting, join the game now with online casino echtgeld startguthaben continuous luck and many victories await you! There was no Public Clinic at this meeting.  All matters to receive debate could have been raised at the Annual Open Parish meeting held immediately before this meeting but there had been none.

An apology had been received from PCSO Paul Ferris and PC Mark Pearce who had intended to attend this meeting, having not  been able to attend the March meeting, but again, through illness, were not able to be present.  The Clerk had established from the police website that there had been no crimes recorded for Carharrack during February, the latest month for which figures are available.  Two incidents had occurred, however, at the far end of Consols Road in Gwennap Parish.

Cornwall Councillor Mark Kaczmarek reported:



Cllr. Mrs. Williams declared an interest in matters involving I.C.E.



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 21st March are a true and accurate record of proceedings and they were duly signed by the Chairman.  Additional copies were made available for display at Carharrack Stars, Carharrack Club and the Mills Hall.



With Mr. D. Dyer not being present at this meeting, it was not known if there had been any trimming of fir trees surrounding Carharrack Club as raised in Public Clinic at the March meeting.



None appropriate.





                          None outstanding


NPA     Mr. M. Beverage, Primrose Cottage, Consols Road – Erection of dwelling

It was noted that this application, far more appropriate to Carharrack Parish than to Gwennap Parish, since the

site is situated on the fringe of the village, had been considered by Gwennap Parish Council and they had

supported it.  RESOLVED to raise no objections, Cllr. Mrs. Williams, taking no part in the discussion due to

being a friend of the applicants.




The Clerk reported that at a recent Mineral Tramways meeting he had attended, he had reminded Gavin Henderson, of Cormac Solutions about the need for potholes to be filled at the Sparry Lane end of Footpath 13 together with clearance of silt from the drainage grid outside the nearby South West Water compound.  It was thought that with a new financial year having commenced, there will be funding available for this sort of work to be carried out.

C.C. Kaczmarek has been pressing for substantial drainage work to be carried out at the Carharrack end of Footpath 29 in neighbouring Gwennap Parish since considerable flooding is taking place, making the path almost impossible to use.

The Clerk reported that a recent bank statement received indicated that Cormac Solutions had not paid the footpath maintenance grant for 2015 into our account despite a claim having been submitted at the same time as the offer of grant for 2016 had been accepted.  The acceptance form could be found by them but not the claim form.  The Clerk had photocopied the documents and today presented them personally at the Scorrier Depot.

Cllr. Garbett reported that he had recently found the surface of Footpath 7, linking Little Carharrack with School Hill, St. Day, to be in poor order.  The Clerk recalled notifying Cormac Solutions of such a situation at the beginning of the year and would raise the matter again with them.

Carn Marth Trust

Nothing to record.

Highway Matters

Cllr. Martin reported that the poor surface of the highway at Sparry Lane, as reported  by him at the March meeting, had been repaired by Cormac Solutions but only after,  it was thought, a complaint had been registered with Cornwall Council regarding damage to a vehicle caused by having been driven through a pothole.

Litter Picking

It was noted that four Parish Councillors, two parishioners and the Clerk had carried out a litter picking session on the evening of Friday, 15th April, with a considerable amount of waste items being collected in showery conditions.  After the collection, a home made cake, prepared by parishioner Lorraine Farrugia, was enjoyed by all.

Recreation Ground

It was noted that the mushroom shaped waste bin at the Recreation Ground is not being emptied on a regular basis by Cory, possibly due to changes in staff operating the route, but that, following a request by C.C. Kaczmarek, action had been taken to ensure that the bin is regularly cleared.

Carharrack News Quarterly Magazine

The copy date for the Summer edition of the parish magazine was confirmed as being 10th May.  Cllr. Mrs. Gardiner undertook to try to arrange for a police report to be included in each edition.

Post Box at Church Row

The Clerk reported that, yet again, he had notified Royal Mail that the post box has not been repainted.  Again an apologetic response had been received but still no sign of action.

Grass verge adjacent to the Mills Hall car park   

It was recalled that in Public Clinic at the March meeting, it was noted that both Mr. Dyer and Cllr. Miss Aldridge had asked tradesmen not to park on the grassy area surrounding the bus shelter next to the Mills Hall car park.  It was noted, however, that parking still takes place and grooves are being created in the grass by the tyres of vehicles.  Since Cornwall Council are maintaining the grass by regular mowing, it was thought that they might be able to introduce some form of restriction to prevent vehicles being parked on the grass but without hindrance to the normal mowing operations.  C.C. Kaczmarek invited an approach from the Clerk so that the matter could be followed-up.



As recorded in Cornwall Councillor’s Report above, it was noted that a planning application has been submitted to extend the completion of the restoration works required at the site until 31st December, 2018, but that C.C. Kaczmarek will be pressing for reinstated footpath access be allowed to the public from the coming Summer months.


Nothing to record.



A situation had arisen at the Allotments where fees for a plot had not been paid since the 2013/4 season, almost no work carried out and confusion over in whose name the plot was registered.  As a result, the plot had been allocated to a neighbouring plot holder who wished to have additional ground but since the plot contained a small greenhouse, the new occupant had been informed that the greenhouse did not come with the plot and, if used, would have to be given up if the owner ever came forward.

Out of the blue, the owner did come forward, indicating that illness had prevented him using the plot or paying the fees.  It was RESOLVED that the new occupier of the plot should retain it and the greenhouse removed from the plot by the owner.  The Clerk to try to find a replacement plot for the original occupier so that the transfer of the greenhouse could be made in one go.

Cllr. Miss Aldridge indicated that she is arranging a date on which the Council’s storage shed at the bottom of the Allotments which is in a poor state of repair could be dismantled by volunteer plot holders.  RESOLVED that the Clerk seeks the best price for a replacement shed and arrange delivery so that there is minimal time between the old shed coming down and the new one installed.


CC Kaczmarek and Cllr. Mrs. Constable left the meeting at this point, 8.30 p.m.







  1. Pound Footpath.  Nothing to record.
    1. Pound Field and building.  Cllr. Garbett reported that wild flower seeds had been planted in areas of the field.
    2. Mining Villages Regeneration.  Cllr. Martin reported that the next meeting of the M.V.R. group is on Thursday, 12th May.
    3. Iron Footbridge.  The Clerk to continue pressing for action by Cornwall Council to bring this bridge and Footpath 18 serving it back into public use.
    4. Park Stenak.  The owner of this land had been established as being W.J. Ladd (Builders) Ltd Pool. The Clerk to provide a history to this Council’s involvement with the parcel of land for the next meeting.
    5. Bus Shelters. Nothing to record.

7.    Mills Hall. A note had been received from the Mills Trust seeking attention to this Council’s notice board that stands in

the Mills Hall car park.  The Trust had, of their own volition, added a partial cork surface to board some time ago but this

had fallen off.   The Clerk to follow-up.

8     Museum.  Nothing to record.

9.    Village Leaflets.  Nothing to record.


St. Day P.C. Draft minutes for their April meeting          For circulation

Gwennap P.C.  Minutes of the March meeting         For circulation

An e-mail had been received from Anne Evatt, Carharrack NHW Secretary, drawing attention to a number of items concerning the group and seeking this Council’s comments and advice.  With no members of the group in attendance at this meeting, it had not been possible to expand on the matters raised but with a meeting of the group to take place later in the week, it was RESOLVED to accept Cllr. Mrs. Gardiner’s kind offer to attend the meeting as a representative of this Council.



No cheques were required for signing at this meeting.



Monday, 23rd May, 2016.


The meeting closed at 9.05 p.m.